1 cup dried black mission figs; chopped and packed
1 cup pitted prunes; chopped and packed
1 cup pitted dates; chopped and packed
½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate; thawed
¼ cup Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
3 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cups unsweetened cocoa powder; packed
2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 pounds dark brown sugar; firmly packed
6 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate; coarsely chopped
½ cup unsalted butter; room temperature
4 ounce cream cheese; room temperature
4 large eggs; room temperature
¾ cups purchased prune butter6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pounds bittersweet (not un-sweetened) or semisweet chocolate
6 tablespoons orange juice concentrate; thawed
Chopped candied fruit peel (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Position rack in bottom third of oven. Generously butter and flour 12-cup angel food cake pan.
2. Combine toasted pecans, chopped dried figs, prunes, dates, orange juice concentrate, Grand Marnier and grated orange peel in large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Sift flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt into medium bowl.
4. Combine brown sugar and 6 ounces chocolate in processor and chop into small pieces.
5. Using electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese in large bowl to blend. Add chocolate mixture and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Beat in prune butter. Stir in ¼ of dry ingredients. Mix in fruit mixture and remaining dry ingredients in 3 additions each. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
6. Bake cake in a preheated oven for about 1 hour 55 minutes until tester inserted near center with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool 5 minutes.
7. Turn pan over onto rack; let stand 5 minutes. Lift off pan; cool cake completely. Wrap cake in plastic and store at room temperature 2 days.
8. For glaze: melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Add chocolate; stir until melted and smooth. Whisk in orange juice concentrate.
9. Place cake on rack. Spread some of chocolate glaze thickly over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
10. Spread remaining chocolate glaze over cake, covering completely. Sprinkle with chopped candied fruit peel, if desired. Refrigerate cake 30 minutes to set glaze.
Fruitcake can be prepared 3 weeks ahead. Wrap cake in plastic and refrigerate. Yield: 16 servings.