6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds total)
Freshly ground black pepper
½ of an 8-ounce tub cream cheese with chive and onion
½ cup Texas Basil Pesto
2 ounces proscuitto, chopped
⅓ cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces
1 tablespoon butter; melted
6 cups baby spinach leaves
3 tablespoons Parmesan Italian salad dressing with basil or Italian salad dressing
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly coat a 13-inch-by-9-inch-by-2-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound chicken to about ⅛ inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining chicken breast halves. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
3. In a small bowl stir together cream cheese Texas Basil Pesto and proscuitto. Place about 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture in the center of each chicken breast. Fold in bottom and sides and roll up. Secure with toothpicks. Combine bread crumbs and chopped pecans. Brush chicken with butter and roll in the bread crumb mixture. Place seam sides down in prepared pan.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170ºF). To serve, toss spinach leaves with the dressing. Divide evenly among 6 plates; top each with a chicken roll.
Makes 6 servings
Texas Basil Pesto
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1½ cups fresh baby spinach; stems removed
¾ cups fresh basil leaves
½ cup Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces
6 ounces Asiago cheese, grated
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and quartered
To Prepare In a Food Processor
1. Combine 2 tablespoons of the oil, the spinach, basil, pecans, cheese and garlic. Cover and process until nearly smooth, stopping processor and scrapping sides as necessary.
2. Drizzle in remaining olive oil until mixture is smooth.
To Prepare In a Blender
1. Coarsely chop spinach, basil, pecans and garlic on a cutting board, in a blender combine all ingredients.
2. Cover and blend until mixture is smooth.
Place pesto in an airtight container. Cover and refrigerate for 1 or 2 days of freeze up to 1 month.
Makes about 1¾ cups