¼ cup shortening
1½ cups light or dark brown sugar; firmly packed
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg; lightly beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour*
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces
2 cups Swiss semisweet chocolate; in small chunks
1 cup milk-chocolate chunks; large
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and shortening with the sugar and salt until light and well blended.
3. Stir in the vanilla and egg. Stir in the flour and baking soda and mix well.
4. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chunks. Form into generous tablespoons of batter and drop onto the lined baking sheet, pressing down slightly on the dough, about 2 inches apart.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly golden in color and browned at the edges.
Makes about 2½ dozen
Note: For tenderer, crisper, more buttery cookie, reduce flour to 1¾ cups.