4 large eggs; separated
½ pounds granulated sugar; (1 cup and 1 tablespoon)
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Fresh berries1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes with an electric mixer. Stir in lemon zest.
3. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold a quarter of the whites into the egg mixture to loosen it.
4. Stir pecans into mixture until thoroughly blended, fold in remaining egg whites carefully to maintain light texture. Pour batter into a lightly buttered and floured 8-inch cake pan.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until firm and golden brown, cool cake on a rack before turning out and then alternately dust with powdered sugar and cocoa.
6. Slice and serve with fresh berries.
Note: This is a very simple recipe that depends entirely on the quality of the pecans. If you suspect your pecans have been in storage for a while, place them on a baking sheet in a preheated 375ºF oven and lightly bake for 3 to 4 minutes to “refresh’” their flavor. This is a great cake to serve with late harvest style Riesling or sweet orange Muscat wines.
Yield: one 8-inch cake