2¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar; lightly packed
2 tablespoons milk
1. Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and allspice; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter until soft. Add both sugars and beat until thoroughly mixed. Beat in egg and milk. Add sifted dry ingredients and beat on low speed until incorporated. Carefully stir in nuts.
3. Spoon out dough to make thick strip about 12-inch long in middle of 20-inch sheet of wax paper. Form into rough log, about 3-inch wide and 1½-inch high, with squared ends. Make loaf as smooth as possible. Place on cookie sheet or and freeze at least 3 hours. For more than few hours, re-wrap bar in aluminum foil.
4. When firm, unwrap loaf and cut in ¼-inch slices. Place slices about 1½ inch apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
5. Bake reversing sheets top to bottom and front to back once or twice during baking in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes until cookies are nicely browned and spring back when gently pressed, about 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool. Store in airtight containers.
No comments yet.