2 fennel bulbs; trimmed and cut lengthwise into ⅛-inch-thick slices
1½ pounds small red potatoes; cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
1½ pounds green beans; trimmed
3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
1¼ cups Basil Pecan Pesto
1. On a large steamer rack layer carrots, then fennel, and then potatoes and steam over boiling water, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer steamed vegetables to a platter.
2. Steam beans, covered, until just tender, about 10 minutes, and transfer to a platter.
3. Serve vegetables warm at room temperature with Basil Pecan Pesto.
Basil Pecan Pesto
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves; washed well and spun dry
⅔ cups olive oil
½ cup Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces; toasted golden brown and cooled
⅓ cup freshly grated parmesan
2 large garlic cloves; chopped and mashed to a paste with
½ teaspoon sea salt
1. In a food processor blend together all ingredients with sea salt and pepper to taste until smooth.
2. Pesto keeps, surface covered with plastic wrap, chilled, 1 week.
Makes about 1¼ cups