You can make this cake a day ahead, refrigerate it overnight, and bake it the next morning. Just take it out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking, and allow an extra 5-10 minutes in the oven. It also freezes well.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
1½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup shortening
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
¾ cups brown sugar; firmly packed
¾ cups Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl, and cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture has the consistency of cornmeal.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add shortening mixture, and blend until just mixed. Do not over mix. Spoon half the batter into a well-greased and floured 9-inch-by-13-inch pan, making sure the top of the dough is even and fills the corners of the pan.
4. Combine melted butter and remaining ingredients to make streusel mixture. Sprinkle half of mixture over batter in pan. Spoon remaining batter on top (don’t worry if batter doesn’t cover completely). Sprinkle remaining streusel mixture on top.
5. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done.
6. Cut into rectangles, and serve immediately.
Yield: 15-20 servings
No comments yet.