2½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups apples, thinly sliced
½ cup brown sugar; firmly packed
¼ cup dark molasses
3 tablespoons brandy
1 cup Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¾ cups mild Cheddar cheese; grated
Whipped Cream or Ice Cream
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Sift four and baking powder together. Make a well in center and in it put the sugar, vanilla and eggs. Mix in some of the flour from the sides to form a paste. Cut the butter into small pieces and put around the top of the paste. Cover with the rest of the flour and knead all ingredients until the dough is smooth. Divide the dough into two balls and refrigerate, covered until dough is cool and firm enough to handle. Roll out as usual and line the bottom of a 10-inch pie plate.
3. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the molasses, corn syrup, brandy and lemon juice. Add the apples and pecans and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
4. Sprinkle grated cheese over bottom of a pastry lined 10-inch pie plate. Pour pie mixture over grated cheese. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
5. Top pie with a lattice crust and bake about 35 to 45 minutes at 350º until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
6. Serve warm, topped with vanilla Ice Cream or Whipped Cream.