½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
½ tablespoon pepper; black
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons orange peel; grated
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1½ cups Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces; lightly toasted
1. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt medium bowl. Mix in pepper.
2. Using electric mixer, cream butter in another bowl until light.
3. Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy.
4. Mix in eggs one at a time.
5. Mix in orange peel and vanilla and almond extracts.
6. Mix in pecans.
7. Add dry ingredients and mix just until blended.
8. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled. Can be prepared one day ahead.
9. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
10. Butter and flour 2 baking sheets.
11. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Using lightly floured hands, roll each piece into 1½ inch diameter log on lightly floured surface.
12. Arrange 2 logs on one sheet, spacing 5 inches apart. Arrange third log on second sheet.
13. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes until logs are light brown, logs will spread during baking.
14. Cool slightly on pan. Cut logs crosswise on diagonal into ¾ inch wide slices.
15. Turn cut side down on baking sheet.
16. Continue baking for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to racks and cool. Store in airtight container.