3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1. Place pecans on a cookie sheet and toast until golden, about 10 minutes.
2. In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter together. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Let cool 10 min.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder. In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly. Gradually beat in sugar. Add orange zest. Stir in cooled chocolate until blended. Stir in the flour and baking powder until incorporated. Fold in pecans. Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter large cookie sheet.
5. Shape each half of dough into a 14-inch-by-2½-inch log. Place 4 inches apart on sheet. Smooth tops and sides with rubber spatula.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until logs are firm when pressed in the center. Remove the baking sheet from oven. Don’t turn off oven.
7. Slide logs onto a cutting board. With a large knife, cut each log diagonally into ½-inch slices. Stand the slices upright on edge on the cookie sheet. Return to oven.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until crisp.
9. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
No comments yet.