½ cup bleached all-purpose flour
1 pinch sea salt
1 tablespoon dark rum
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup dark corn syrup
3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate; finely chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. and set a rack at the middle level.
2. Butter an 8-inch square pan, and line the bottom with a square of parchment or waxed paper.
3. Combine the pecans and flour and set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with salt and rum.
5. In a saucepan, stir the sugar and corn syrup well to mix. Place over low heat and bring to a boil.
6. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and butter. Allow to stand for 3 or 4 minutes, and then whisk smooth.
7. Whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Stir in the pecans and flour. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for about 35 minutes, until set and firm.
9. Cool in the pan on a rack. Un-mold and cut into 2-inch squares.
Yield: sixteen 2-inch squares