½ cup salted butter; chilled
5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
5 tablespoons salted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar; firmly pack
½ cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs; beaten
1½ cup Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces
1. In a medium bowl combine flour and chilled butter with a pastry cutter until dough resembles coarse meal. Add water gradually, mix just until dough holds together, and can be shaped into a ball. Or, use a food processor fitted with metal blade to combine four and butter until they resemble coarse meal. Add water by tablespoonfuls and process just until a dough ball begins to form. Wrap dough tightly in a plastic scrap or a plastic bag. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
2. On floured board using a floured rolling pin, roll out dough into a 10-inch-by-10-inch pan. Fold dough in half and then into quarters. Place it in an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking pan. Unfold the dough, press it into the corners, and up along the sides of the pan. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
4. To prepare the filling: melt 5 tablespoons of butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar and corn syrup. Mix until smooth. Add vanilla and eggs, and beat with spoon until thoroughly combined. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour the pecan filling into the pastry-lined pan. If dough extends beyond filling mixture trim dough with a knife.
5. Place pan in center of preheated oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on wire rack.
6. Cut into 2-inch-by-2-inch square, and top each with a pecan half. Serve at room temperature or chilled.