1½ cups granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla
3 egg yolks
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon Hershey’s Cocoa
½ cup unsifted all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water
¾ cups Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces; finely chopped
3 egg whites; room temperature
⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
1 recipe Royal Glaze
Pecan Valley Pecan Halves for garnish1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Line bottom of 9-inch spring form pan with aluminum foil; butter foil and side of pan. Set aside.
3. Combine cup melted butter, the sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl; beat well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Blend in cocoa, flour, oil and water; beat well. Stir in chopped pecans.
5. Beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until top begins to crack slightly (Cake will not test done in center)
7. Cool 1 hour. Cover; chill until firm. Remove side of pan.
8. Prepare Royal Glaze. Pour over cake, allowing glaze to run down side. With narrow metal spatula, spread glaze evenly on top and side. Allow to harden.
9. Garnish with pecan halves.
8 ounce (8 squares) semi-sweet baking chocolate; broken into pieces; *
½ cup heavy cream; or whipping cream
Note: You may substitute 1⅓ Cups Hershey’s Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips for the baking chocolate.
1. Combine chocolate and cream in small saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; do NOT boil. Remove from heat.
2. Cool, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 10 to 15 minutes.