1¾ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 orange; zest
1 lemon; zest
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1½ cups Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces; toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl mix together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, beating them in one at a time.
5. Add the orange and lemon zests and the vanilla and almond extracts.
6. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients and nuts, being careful not to over mix.
7. Shape the dough into a flattish log approximately 3-inch wide and a length that comfortably fits your baking sheet. If necessary, make 2 logs. Lay the logs on a greased cookie sheet.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and let cool.
10. Using a serrated bread knife, cut the log or logs crosswise into ¾-inch wide pieces.
11. Lay the cookies cut side down on a greased cookie sheet and continue baking 350ºF until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in tins.
Makes 24 cookies