¼ cup softened unsalted butter or margarine
½ cup Pecan Valley Pecan Halves
⅔ cups brown sugar; firmly packed
2 9-inch pie crusts; unbaked
6 cups (about 2½ pounds) tart apples; sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
2. Spread softened butter evenly on bottom and sides of 9-inch pie pan. Press pecan halves, rounded side down, into butter. Pat brown sugar evenly over pecans. Roll out enough pastry for 1 crust; place in pie pan over sugar; trim, leaving ½-inch overhang.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine sliced apples, lemon juice, flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour into pie pan, keeping top level. Top with remaining pastry; trim even with bottom crust; fold edges together, flush with rim; flute. Prick top of pie with fork.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to moderate, 350ºF.
6. Continue baking for 30 to 45 minutes or longer, or until apples are tender. Remove from oven.
7. When syrup in pan stops bubbling, place serving plate over pie; invert. Carefully remove pie pan. Serve hot.