½ cup Pecan Valley Pecan Pieces; light toasted
Grated peel of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
5 phyllo sheets; frozen; thawed
½ cup unsalted butter; melted
Powdered sugar; sifted (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine apples, nuts, lemon peel, sugar and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Mix well to blend flavors; set aside.
3. Unroll phyllo dough sheets. Cut dough lengthwise into 2-inch wide strips. Place on waxed paper over damp towels. Cover all dough strips except 2 of them. Brush the 2 strips with the melted butter.
4. Place about 2 teaspoons of the filling in the center of each strip, about 1-inch from the top edge. Fold one corner of each strip over filling. Fold over again like a flag, until entire strip is folded. Place on buttered 10-inch-by-15-inch pan with sides.
5. Repeat with remaining filling and phyllo strips. Brush folded pastries, top and bottom, with melted butter.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.
7. Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar if desired.